These grilled tofu skewers are delicious vegan bbq skewers that are packed with teriyaki flavor and yummy goodness.
This recipe is vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free option, oil-free, dairy-free, and whole food plant-based.
These grilled tofu skewers, are tofu kabobs as I like to call them, are a delicious bbq treat perfect for vegans!
After all, when most people here BBQ they think tons of meat. But around here, our favorite foods to grill are veggies, tofu and mushrooms!
For the BBQ skewers we used
- Extra firm tofu: The extra firm holds up best on the grill
- Red bell pepper
- Yellow bell pepper: Or green bell pepper, cut up into cubes
- Red onion
- Skewers: You can use metal skewers or wooden ones. If you are using the wooden ones, make sure to soak them in water for an hour before throwing them onto the BBQ.
For the Terriyaki Sauce:
- Soy sauce or coconut aminos for gluten free option
- Brown sugar
- Garlic powder
- Apple cider vinegar
- Sesame oil
- Corn starch
- Cold water
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
See recipe card for quantities.
The first thing I do when making any kind of tofu dish is start by making the sauce or marinade.
For this recipe we are using a homemade teriyaki sauce. Start by combining the soy sauce or coconut aminos with the brow sugar and seasonings in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk everything together well.
The pour the sauce into a small pan and heat on medium high heat until it just starts to boil.
While the sauce is warming, mix the cornstarch in cold water in a separate bowl. Then once the sauce is boiling add it into your saucepan.
Continue stirring and cook for another minute or so until the sauce starts to thicken. Remove the sauce from heat and allow to cool.
Next you'll want to grab your tofu block and place it on a plate or cutting board.
Cube your tofu into 1 inch sized squares. Or squares big enough to sit well on your skewers.
Chop up all your veggies into similarly sized pieces.
I recommend trying to keep your veggies as wide as possible so they don't fall off the skewers as they cook on the grill.
Next, add ½ a cup of your cooled teriyaki sauce into a ziploc bag and add your cubed tofu.
Mix the cubes all around the sauce and let it marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
While your tofu is marinating, you can start preparing your grill. Preheat the girl to medium-high heat.
Start alternating your veggies with the marinated tofu onto each of the skewers.
Put the skewers onto the grill directly and cook for 9-10 minutes, turning halfway through to grill evenly on both sides.
Cook until the tofu is cooked through well with grill marks.
Once your grilled tofu is cooked, remove from heat and drizzle with the rest of the teriyaki sauce and serve hot.
If you want to make a yummy vegan grilled skewer, but aren't a big fan of tofu, you could try using chunks of portabello mushroom instead.
If you are looking for a gluten-free option, make sure to use a gluten-free soy sauce like Tamari sauce or coconut aminos as the base for the marinade.
With these grilled kabobs there are tons of different veggies you could add to your skewers, other ideas include
- Peppers - While we used bell peppers, you could also add pieces of other types of peppers like poblano peppers
- Mushrooms - Instead of tofu, or in addition to the tofu you could marinate mushrooms and add to your skewers
- Tofu Free - And of course, if you have those who don't like tofu, you could always just do veggies and drizzle the sauce over them once they've finished grilling
These are best eaten right away, however, will keep in the fridge for a day or two in an air-tight container.
For the Skewers
- 1 pack extra firm tofu, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, cubed
- 1 yellow or green bell pepper, cubed
- 1 zucchini thickly sliced
- 1 red onion, cubed
For the Teryiaki Saue
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder, ginger, vinegar, sesame oil and red pepper flakes in a medium bowl. Whisk well.
- Pour soy sauce mixture into a small pan and bring to a boil.
- In a separate bowl combine cornstarch and water, and whisk well.
- Pour cornstarch mixture into boiling soy sauce mixture and cook for 1 minute until sauce is thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Place ½ cup of the cooled teriyaki sauce in a ziploc bag and ad cubed tofu.
- Marinate in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- When tofu is done marinating, assemble onto skewers with chopped vegetables.
- Grill over direct heat for 9-10 minutes, turning halfway through to grill skewers evenly on both sides.
- Skewers are ready to remove from heat when tofu is cooked through with grill marks.
- Drizzle with reserved teriyaki sauce and serve warm.